Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gilligan's Island and the Three Hour Tour

We have had so much going on lately this week I had just planned on relaxing - going to the pool, taking lunch to Robert's work, and a trip to the zoo with our friend Laine... Well much like everything else in mommy world, plans mean nothing and the only thing I should expect is the unexpected!

On Tuesday, we had to make arrangements for a little impromptu trip to Tennessee for an appointment on Friday. I wanted to space out the driving but still be in Atlanta for the weekend so I had decided we would drive in early Wednesday morning and be there by lunch. With Reese, I think it is so much easier to leave in the wee hours so she sleeps the majority of the time.

Well about 1 a.m. Wednesday morning I realized this trip was going to go nothing as planned. Reese is still battling a funky cold she just can't shake and woke up clogged up. About 4:30 when we were both restlessly trying sleeping on the couch I noticed she was warm, but when I checked her temp there was no fever. About 5:20, when we should have been well on our way out of Atlanta, I checked her temperature again to get 103.8!!! What?!?! --Remember an earlier post saying we had just gone to the doctor...well, obviously we needed to go back! I immediately gave her Motrin and called the doctor. Of course it couldn't be too easy, our pediatrician was on vacation and not available. Robert and I continued to watch her temperature to make sure it fell and took her into the doctor's office as soon as it opened. As it turns out, this nasty cold settled in her ears and as the pediatrician said "She has a pretty radical infection in her left ear!" He gave her some numbing drops until we could get the prescription filled -- Thank goodness!!

After all of that, we set out on our six hour drive to my parents house. I had assumed since she was up the majority of the night she would sleep a good portion of the drive. There again, another expectation I should have never made!! She slept maybe an hour of the drive!

So, let's recap - the original plan: leave Atlanta between 4:45 and 5:00 a.m. and arrive home around lunch. New plan: leave Atlanta around lunch and arrive in TN around dinner?

We barely made it past Chattanooga before the Jeep windows were vibrating from screams!! We pulled over at a rest stop to stretch our legs and actually had a nice little play sessions.

Not a bad place to take a break from the drive!

On the last stretch of road before my parents house Reese threw my planner out the window. (Literally, not metaphorically, threw it out the window.)


Probably landed in one of the flooded fields...


So, one rest area, two gas stations, three miles of stand still traffic, 12 episodes of Dora (on repeat), one planner out the window, a package of twizzlers, two diet cokes and NINE hours later we finally made it to my parents house.

Almost home...
A six hour trip with Reese sleeping most of the way turned into THAT! I guess that is where the Gilligan's Island reference comes in (3 hour tour that turned into something much longer). I have never been more happy to have something behind me. Anyway, this morning Reese is sleeping in, feeling a little better but still battling a come-and-go fever so keep her in your prayers!
P.S. There has been a recall on Children's Motrin and on Children's Tylenol. Check out the info.

No comments: